One of the most disturbing recent developments is the rise of a phenomenon called “Mythicism,” which is a form of skepticism so extreme it denies that Jesus Christ ever existed.
Today there are countless people, many of them young, who know next to nothing about the historical basis of the Gospels but who have encountered Mythicist websites telling them that Jesus never existed and that the whole of the Christian faith is a lie.
Many Mythicists even claim that Jesus Christ is a legend based on a pagan god.
Believe me, Mythicist writings and videos like these give people all the excuse they need to dismiss the Christian faith, letting them sneer, “Why should I take Christianity seriously? Jesus wasn’t even real!”
And Mythicists Are Only the Tip of the Iceberg!
Not all skeptics are as extreme as the Mythicists. Many may not deny that Jesus existed, but they believe that the New Testament is fundamentally unreliable as history.
In recent years, countless authors have been part of what they call “the Quest for the Historical Jesus.”
The “Historical Jesus” is supposed to be different from the “Christ of Faith.” The idea is that whoever Jesus was and whatever he did, he wasn’t the figure that the Christian faith proclaims.
Instead, the true Jesus was “encrusted” with legends and myths as the New Testament took shape, and authors of this stripe say it’s their job to peel back these layers to get back to the original “Historical Jesus” and the first generation of Christians who followed him. They claim:
- We can’t trust the Gospels to give us the story of Jesus
- We can’t trust the book of Acts to give us the story of the early Church
- We, fundamentally, can’t trust the New Testament to tell us what really happened
The bad news is: People of this stripe far outnumber even the Mythicists! And so many people today are easy pickings for the skeptics!
Most people today know nothing about history. Even most Christians would be floored if asked how to argue that the New Testament is historically reliable.
This powerful presentation reveals:
- How the ministry of Jesus fits into real history
- How the early Church got started—and then experienced explosive growth
- How even tiny details you’ve never noticed mesh together to show that the New Testament is giving us real history
- How a famous archaeologist—who started as a skeptic—became convinced key New Testament books will “stand the keenest scrutiny” and were written by “a historian of the first rank” (watch the DVD to find out who!)